Using paper maps to navigate an unfamiliar town or to map your way through a road trip is a thing of the past. To guide you to your destination, your phone uses GPS, mobile data, and WiFi.
Even though GPS has made finding your way around much easier, it’s still a good idea to practice navigation without GPS occasionally in case it doesn’t work. GPS navigation on your phone shouldn’t become so dependent on it that you can’t find your way around without it.
Despite the fact that there is no perfect navigation app for everyone, Google Maps comes close. The app is the default navigation app on Android and the most popular navigation app on iOS, and it’s easy to see why.
How do I Change the Voice on My GPS?
Your phone’s Google Maps app provides the best voice navigation system, allowing you to download offline maps and find your way even in the most rural of areas or while hiking. Using voice navigation allows you to navigate without constantly looking down at your phone.
In Google Maps, however, you can customize the voice in your turn-by-turn navigation if you like.
Starting with Android, let’s see how to change the voice settings in Google Maps on Android and iOS (iPhone and iPad).
How do I Change the Voice For Google Maps on an Android?
Android devices already come with Google Maps, Google Assistant, Chrome, and Play Store as part of the Google bundle. A user can change the voice of the Google Maps navigation on an Android phone or tablet by reinstalling the app.
It is easier to use the first method, while the second involves adjusting your phone’s language settings. Here’s how to change the Google Maps voice on your Android device.
Change the Google Maps Voice from within the App
You can change Google Maps’ voice through the app’s settings by following these steps:
- Launch Google Maps on your tablet or phone by tapping the app icon.
- Click the Profile icon. The icon can be found in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the Settings tab next.
- Navigate to the Navigation settings tab in the Settings section once it opens.
- Tap the Voice Selection tab in the Navigation Settings section. Google Maps marks the currently selected voice with a checkmark.
- A list of all available languages and their regional variations will appear. You can select a language by tapping it.
- The next step is to tap the Back button. You will be taken back to the map after clicking this.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, tap the Go button.
- In the upper text box, enter your current position.
- The lower text box should contain the destination.
- Press the Start button. In the newly selected voice/language, Google Maps will start navigating you to your destination.
Reinstall the App
When Google Maps is installed, it takes its language settings from the device’s language settings. Instead of changing the app’s voice through the in-app settings, you can uninstall it and change the language settings on your phone or tablet. Let’s see how that goes.
- Remove Google Maps from your tablet or phone. You will need to uninstall it via the Google Play Store if you cannot delete it by tapping and holding the icon.
- From the Home screen, launch the Settings app.
- Locate the System section by scrolling down. Click on it.
- On your device, tap the Language or Language & Input tab once the System section opens.
- Tap the Language and region tab next.
- You will see a list of all available languages. Tap on the one you want.
- Tap the Home button to exit Settings.
- Tap the Play Store icon to launch it.
- The Google Maps app can be found by browsing the app store.
- Install or update by tapping the button.
- Language settings will be taken from your device’s settings when you first install Google Maps.
How Do I Change the Voice on Google Maps on My iPhone?
iPhone and iPad users can’t change the voice of Google Maps navigation from within the app. In the iPhone or iPad settings, you can accomplish the same thing.
How to change the Google Maps voice on an iPad or iPhone (i.e., iOS):
- From the Home screen, launch the Settings app. On the General tab, tap the General button.
- Within the General section, select Language & Region.
- Depending on the device, tap iPhone Language or iPad Language.
- Select the language or language and dialect you wish to use (e.g., Australian English). Use the search bar at the top to find the language of your interest quickly.
- You will be prompted to change the language by the device. Click Change to…
Start Google Maps to check your new language and dialect settings. Click Go to start the voice instructions after entering a location.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some more answers to your questions about Google Maps’ voice.
No, I’m afraid not. Users don’t have a lot of customization options with Google. Users are used to changing something as simple as the gender of their digital assistants, but Google Maps doesn’t offer this option.
I don’t. There is a reason why Google allows users to customize certain aspects of the Google Voice Assistant, but not Google Maps. Google Maps will not be affected if you change the gender or accent of the Voice Assistant.
Over and Out
Both Android and iOS devices support a variety of languages and dialects for voice navigation. On Android, you make the change directly within Google Maps, whereas on iPhones and iPads, you change the language and dialect from the device’s general settings (including Google Maps).
Are there any tips and tricks for customizing Google Maps? Please let us know in the comments if you have!